Skip to main content

Why I called my blog 'willbedoneonearth'


I signed up to write a blog 2 years ago.  I chose the name willbedoneonearth.  And two years later I have published my first post.  That it not unlike life in general, is it?  Desires float around and we get distracted, sometimes stressed out of our brains with other things or it just feels like it must be so hard to do and what will we write anyway and how will we find the time..etc...etc...

The phrase 'will be done on earth' comes from a larger phrase out of the prayer Jesus prayed when his followers asked him 'teach us to pray'.  It's sort of a template of how to pray. 

Oftentimes in the last couple of years I didn't know what to pray I just knew I needed a whole lot of help so I would recite this prayer some mornings in my study, my nook away from the world (for at least 5 minutes!).  The prayer is short, the prayer is sweet.  It covers all the bases.  It is like a springboard for more detail as you dialogue more with God about your personal life, your loved ones, the world, your purpose in life.  It is found in Matthew 6 v 9-13.


This is what the first half of the phrases in the prayer mean to me...

Our father- God is my father, the perfect, kind, loving, fair father.  He has compassion on me his child.  He actually likes me, he delights in me. He loves to hear from me.

Who art in heaven- God my father is in heaven, he is in the unseen realm.

Hallowed be your name- We reverence, we respect, we are in awe of him.

Your kingdom come- He has a kingdom.  It is perfection.  It is ruled over by Jesus.  We who know him will share in the rulership and the delights of the kingdom and perfected souls and bodies and minds.  The kingdom is tangible, with much more to enjoy than this current earth and with perfect peace, no pain, no violence, no hunger, no injustice.  All wounds will be healed- physical and emotional.  We who know him look forward to this kingdom, awaiting Jesus return.

Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven- In heaven what God says just happens- the angels and the other heavenly creatures do what is good and right.  Not so here on earth.  We can choose if we live like God would have us do each day- or not.  This section of the prayer I see as deliberately alligning myself and my will with his will, a conscious surrender.  And it's an expression of how we'd like the world to be a better place under his loving ways. What does his will on earth look like?
It looks a bit different for each person.  It could be...

Loving those in your life.
Doing good.
Caring for his creation.
Sharing his message of love.
How does that play out in your life?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The energy of faith

What does a faithful Christian look like?  Are they always happy and energetic and smiling? I had a disappointment when a something I thought was going to happen didn't.  How many of us have experienced this? We receive a promise from God and then something leads us to think its happening "this week" or 'this month', even 'this year'- all the signs are lining up- we get all exited. WE might fast, and spend ourselves in prayer.  WE might tell our close friends.  WE might take some actions towards this thing coming to pass.  And it's all in the faith of expectation- because we believe God- that this thing is going to happen. Then it doesn't happen when we think it would happen and we feel exhausted.  We feel silly, maybe bitter, that we 'spent ourselves' getting exited and laboring over this event or promise we thought was coming like 'now'. Today I prayed God would give me his perspective on my disappointment.  I truly had e

Transition 2

I've been praying about what is coming up for me in 2018, what Gods plans are and what he has for me... I had an interesting dream recently where I was among many people who were in a supermarket being assigned jobs. Suddenly the supermarket was not just a grocery story but had expanded into a department store. There was food, clothing and everything you could think of to buy. Multiple adjoining buildings. Huge spaces devoted to specialty items. There were so many people wandering around. Some of these people were wearing colour coded vests they had been given by the store which indicated they had been assigned a role. But although some had their vest, they were not yet at their post, they were wandering around asking questions and trying to find where they were meant to be. I was aware I had my vest on but could not search for my place because I was with my son Caleb helping him find his place. I asked the Lord what this meant. I felt the change in store size and variety indic

About me...

About me..My name is Naomi.  I am married with three children.  I am a Naturopathy student who has been studying for what feels like forever and carer to husband and three children.  I have a background in midwifery.  I am passionate about how God designed things to be for our minds and bodies and life and that one day he will perfect everything and everyone who accepts the free gift of life.  I yearn to understand God more and dwell in his perfect peace, trusting him, believing him, and not being afraid.  I want to know how long and wide and deep and high is the love of Christ, a love that surpasses knowledge. This is Ben and I on our 15th wedding anniversary holiday at a Broncos game... I like pretty things.  I like tea and tea pots and pretty vines.  I like delicate and soft things like pastels and green florals and lace and shabby chic.  But not too shabby chic.  I like rustic and homely.  I like natural things, wood, metal, natural fibres. I have three little