Skip to main content

The enemy without mercy


While God has good intentions, to prosper us and not to harm us, to give us a hope and a future (Jer 29 v 11-13)", satan seeks to devour us alive, to consume us- to steal, to kill and to destroy (John 10 v 10).  To get a picture of this we just need to look at any merciless venture in the world- such as child sex trafficking- such as 'ethnic cleansing', to understand that our enemy is without mercy.  He hates us and delights in our sufferings and losses.  The detestable things on earth give him pleasure.  There is no compassion in him for a child, the elderly, the hopeless and downtrodden person.  If he can crush you, he will just want to crush you more.  Your destruction is his delight.

Too many of us have a cartoon image of the devil- poking us teasingly with a plastic Halloween prodder- or a cute character on our shoulder doing a to and fro debate with us, as a cherub sits on our other shoulder.

Instead, we should look to the cold blooded killers in history, characters such as Hitler, and remind ourselves the devil is that and so much worse.  

If you are familiar with Downtown Abbey, you might consider the character Thomas.  By the end of the story we may have some compassion stirred in us for the unliked man, who is coping with being 'different', with love spurned.  But in earlier episodes, I see his coldness, his indifference, his seeming pleasure in others taking a fall.

The enemy is cold and calculating- he has plans and strategies to take you down.  He is waiting to trip you up, hoping you will take a fall.

Peter says" be sober, be alert (1 Peter 5 v 8)"- take any temptations that are presenting themselves seriously- look up scripture to fight and pray to not be led into temptation.  As this is in the Lords prayer I think it shows Jesus is teaching us it is a vital request for us all to bring to God regularly.  Even if we don't see any obvious temptations in our life at the present, maybe the Father will reveal something to us that has been sneaking up on us.

God is faithful- he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear (1 Cor 10 v 13)- while we are being watchful, alert and prayerful we are to retain confidence that God is sovereign even over the temptations extent.  Gods knowledge of what we can bear though may be more than we thought.  'Bearing' can look like Jesus agonizing prayer in the garden of Gethsemane and forgiving his enemies from the cross.  Bearing can look like imprisonment or torture while not denying Christ.  "Do I have to go there?", I think as I write this...  This is certainly not the reality I hope for...

I personally have been brought to limits I didn't know existed before.  I have been floored with helplessness, crying out to God, knowing he is my only hope.  I have experienced such grief at my sin.  I have had such disabling emotions and needed to carry on loving and caring for everyone as though I was not suffering.  I have been humbled.

What I discovered through all this, is that God's intent is that we become increasingly reliant on him.  I don't generally enjoy reliance- I think I have to be brought there.  I don't like feeling or being 'needy'.  I know, proud, yes.  Kicking and screaming I realize that in those seasons I won't get by on my usual amount of bible reading and prayer- I can't save my focused worship time for Sunday alone.  Some days I only got by with intense and frequent prayer, and/or worshiping in the evenings listening and singing to u tube Christian songs for solid hours on end, feeling the holy spirit was calling me to do so for my spiritual well-being, dismissing the strong call of the 'comfort' of the familiar and numbing TV shows and series.  Not that there is anything wrong with relaxing and doing just that- when it's that time.

Why do I expect God would call me to anything less than increasing reliance on him- given the example of our beloved Christ Jesus- who- called out to God with "loud cries and tears (Heb 5 v 7)".  The beauty of it is even more- growing in awareness of God's presence- the silent prayers- "help me Lord, what do I do here Lord?"- "thank you Lord"- prayed more often because I just know God is with me wherever I go- and he cares about every detail of my life.

And so I say thank you Lord.  I step out with increased vigilance and understanding.  I step out with increased willingness to rely on you Lord.  We will overcome the enemy hand in hand.

Do you have a story of how God has brought you a greater awareness of the enemy's schemes or brought you through temptation or trial to a greater reliance on him and his presence?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The energy of faith

What does a faithful Christian look like?  Are they always happy and energetic and smiling? I had a disappointment when a something I thought was going to happen didn't.  How many of us have experienced this? We receive a promise from God and then something leads us to think its happening "this week" or 'this month', even 'this year'- all the signs are lining up- we get all exited. WE might fast, and spend ourselves in prayer.  WE might tell our close friends.  WE might take some actions towards this thing coming to pass.  And it's all in the faith of expectation- because we believe God- that this thing is going to happen. Then it doesn't happen when we think it would happen and we feel exhausted.  We feel silly, maybe bitter, that we 'spent ourselves' getting exited and laboring over this event or promise we thought was coming like 'now'. Today I prayed God would give me his perspective on my disappointment.  I truly had e

Transition 2

I've been praying about what is coming up for me in 2018, what Gods plans are and what he has for me... I had an interesting dream recently where I was among many people who were in a supermarket being assigned jobs. Suddenly the supermarket was not just a grocery story but had expanded into a department store. There was food, clothing and everything you could think of to buy. Multiple adjoining buildings. Huge spaces devoted to specialty items. There were so many people wandering around. Some of these people were wearing colour coded vests they had been given by the store which indicated they had been assigned a role. But although some had their vest, they were not yet at their post, they were wandering around asking questions and trying to find where they were meant to be. I was aware I had my vest on but could not search for my place because I was with my son Caleb helping him find his place. I asked the Lord what this meant. I felt the change in store size and variety indic

About me...

About me..My name is Naomi.  I am married with three children.  I am a Naturopathy student who has been studying for what feels like forever and carer to husband and three children.  I have a background in midwifery.  I am passionate about how God designed things to be for our minds and bodies and life and that one day he will perfect everything and everyone who accepts the free gift of life.  I yearn to understand God more and dwell in his perfect peace, trusting him, believing him, and not being afraid.  I want to know how long and wide and deep and high is the love of Christ, a love that surpasses knowledge. This is Ben and I on our 15th wedding anniversary holiday at a Broncos game... I like pretty things.  I like tea and tea pots and pretty vines.  I like delicate and soft things like pastels and green florals and lace and shabby chic.  But not too shabby chic.  I like rustic and homely.  I like natural things, wood, metal, natural fibres. I have three little