Skip to main content

The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness


I believe in these last days one of the biggest forms of oppression the enemy brings against God’s children is depression, particularly in the first world.  The reason I think in the first world is because of the resources we have, sometimes in abundance, such as opportunities, finances, technology and other things which can be used for God's work through us- but depression can suppress and hinder the use of our gifts and resources and our expansion... I believe it is a form of his persecution against God’s people.  Depression is the enemy of hope, peace and joy.  Hope, peace and joy are our inheritance as God’s children.

I have suffered depression at certain times of my life- seasons where joy, hope and peace is a struggle to attain.  I have been a bit 'self diagnosing' as to the reasons for my feelings- I now think we should ask God more questions- Why am I feeling this way?  What has caused these feelings to come over me?  Some of my depression I now understand, was from a loss of purpose in leaving my work as a nurse and midwife. I believe depression is complex, and also can be strongly related to our personality type and health and what I am writing is only a part of the picture.  Here is one biblical thought for overcoming...


The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor.  He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORDS favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion- to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.  They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor.  Isaiah 61.1-3


He has turned our mourning into dancing- Jesus came to give us the garment of praise for the spirit of despair.  This is why one of the foremost weapons against depression is praise.  And because Jesus proclaimed that he came for the purpose of lifting the spirit of heaviness off us and giving us the garment of praise this is our inheritance.
Our inheritance is freedom from the spirit of heaviness or despair. Claim the freedom that is your right as a child of God!  Jesus died to give you this freedom.
We have been given the garment of praise, but it is not for hanging in the wardrobe.  We have to put it on!  When the spirit says ‘put on some worship music’ or ‘take your stereo with you on that holiday’ do it!. He is saying- take your garment of praise with you- don’t be without it- wherever you go.

If we are not wearing our garment of praise we are more likely to accept the cloak of despair. Why would we receive this? And at certain times of our lives we are more vulnerable to accepting the deception- like when things are looking bleak in our natural life or we have been shown difficult truths- we think that cloak of despair belongs there- we take ownership of it- but it does not, under any circumstance.  It remains the property of the enemy- aka satan- it is a rotten, stained, stinking thing, that deserves to be thrown away as far as possible.  If you were given such a piece of clothing what would you do with it?  Would you ever put it on? That’s what we do when we accept the cloak of despair…
Fight to keep your garment of praise on constantly! That's what I aim to do from here on!

Read more at:
(I do not endorse all content at this site but this particular page gave me inspiration and ideas...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The energy of faith

What does a faithful Christian look like?  Are they always happy and energetic and smiling? I had a disappointment when a something I thought was going to happen didn't.  How many of us have experienced this? We receive a promise from God and then something leads us to think its happening "this week" or 'this month', even 'this year'- all the signs are lining up- we get all exited. WE might fast, and spend ourselves in prayer.  WE might tell our close friends.  WE might take some actions towards this thing coming to pass.  And it's all in the faith of expectation- because we believe God- that this thing is going to happen. Then it doesn't happen when we think it would happen and we feel exhausted.  We feel silly, maybe bitter, that we 'spent ourselves' getting exited and laboring over this event or promise we thought was coming like 'now'. Today I prayed God would give me his perspective on my disappointment.  I truly had e

Transition 2

I've been praying about what is coming up for me in 2018, what Gods plans are and what he has for me... I had an interesting dream recently where I was among many people who were in a supermarket being assigned jobs. Suddenly the supermarket was not just a grocery story but had expanded into a department store. There was food, clothing and everything you could think of to buy. Multiple adjoining buildings. Huge spaces devoted to specialty items. There were so many people wandering around. Some of these people were wearing colour coded vests they had been given by the store which indicated they had been assigned a role. But although some had their vest, they were not yet at their post, they were wandering around asking questions and trying to find where they were meant to be. I was aware I had my vest on but could not search for my place because I was with my son Caleb helping him find his place. I asked the Lord what this meant. I felt the change in store size and variety indic

About me...

About me..My name is Naomi.  I am married with three children.  I am a Naturopathy student who has been studying for what feels like forever and carer to husband and three children.  I have a background in midwifery.  I am passionate about how God designed things to be for our minds and bodies and life and that one day he will perfect everything and everyone who accepts the free gift of life.  I yearn to understand God more and dwell in his perfect peace, trusting him, believing him, and not being afraid.  I want to know how long and wide and deep and high is the love of Christ, a love that surpasses knowledge. This is Ben and I on our 15th wedding anniversary holiday at a Broncos game... I like pretty things.  I like tea and tea pots and pretty vines.  I like delicate and soft things like pastels and green florals and lace and shabby chic.  But not too shabby chic.  I like rustic and homely.  I like natural things, wood, metal, natural fibres. I have three little