Skip to main content

Gethsemane


"Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. On reaching the place, he said to them, "Pray that you will not fall into temptation".  He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done".  An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him.  And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.  When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow.  "Why are you sleeping?" he asked them. "Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation"."

Luke 22 v 39-46


Jesus told the disciples "pray that you will not fall into temptation".  Then he prays himself and returns to find them, not praying, but asleep.
According to Jesus, staying from temptation is more important than sleep, it's more important than comfort.  Therefore the question: Why are you sleeping?  Jesus would have known how tired the disciples truly were on this night. But he knew this was a time when it was very important for them to pray so they would not fall into temptation. It was for this time.

Jesus himself slept in the boat in the storm and that was not wrong- it was not this time.

There is a time when prayer is more important than sleep, than other things.  That is when the battle for temptation is high.

Temptation was high at this time for Jesus- so he prayed.  The temptation was to not take the cup. The prayer was to submit the cup to God.  Jesus pleaded the cup be taken away.  He didn't reject the cup without his fathers permission.  But the father made it clear the Jesus must drink the cup.  Jesus accepted Gods will and received strength.

Through prayer, we too, can submit ourselves to the will of the father, aligning with the holy spirit's desires within us- we can accept whatever God's will is for the situation, and receive the strength we need.

There are things we don't want to do that we need to do.  Big things.  To prepare, we pray.
There are things we really wish we could do, but we shouldn't do.  Big things.  To avoid, we pray.
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.  The spirit is willing that all be saved- but the flesh doesn't want to evangelize.  The spirit is willing that we are self-controlled- but the flesh wants no restrictions.  The spirit is willing that we step into our gifts and use them and grow and stretch in them- but the flesh wants the comfort zone, the safe zone.

Through prayer, we too, can submit ourselves to the will of the father, aligning with the holy spirit's desires within us- we can accept whatever God's will is for the situation, and receive the strength we need.

What we need to know is, is it the time...to get in high gear of intense, purposeful and priority prayer.  Pray for wisdom to know when it's ok to sleep in the storm, and the wisdom to know when you are in danger of the storm coming upon you if you do...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The energy of faith

What does a faithful Christian look like?  Are they always happy and energetic and smiling? I had a disappointment when a something I thought was going to happen didn't.  How many of us have experienced this? We receive a promise from God and then something leads us to think its happening "this week" or 'this month', even 'this year'- all the signs are lining up- we get all exited. WE might fast, and spend ourselves in prayer.  WE might tell our close friends.  WE might take some actions towards this thing coming to pass.  And it's all in the faith of expectation- because we believe God- that this thing is going to happen. Then it doesn't happen when we think it would happen and we feel exhausted.  We feel silly, maybe bitter, that we 'spent ourselves' getting exited and laboring over this event or promise we thought was coming like 'now'. Today I prayed God would give me his perspective on my disappointment.  I truly had e

Transition 2

I've been praying about what is coming up for me in 2018, what Gods plans are and what he has for me... I had an interesting dream recently where I was among many people who were in a supermarket being assigned jobs. Suddenly the supermarket was not just a grocery story but had expanded into a department store. There was food, clothing and everything you could think of to buy. Multiple adjoining buildings. Huge spaces devoted to specialty items. There were so many people wandering around. Some of these people were wearing colour coded vests they had been given by the store which indicated they had been assigned a role. But although some had their vest, they were not yet at their post, they were wandering around asking questions and trying to find where they were meant to be. I was aware I had my vest on but could not search for my place because I was with my son Caleb helping him find his place. I asked the Lord what this meant. I felt the change in store size and variety indic

About me...

About me..My name is Naomi.  I am married with three children.  I am a Naturopathy student who has been studying for what feels like forever and carer to husband and three children.  I have a background in midwifery.  I am passionate about how God designed things to be for our minds and bodies and life and that one day he will perfect everything and everyone who accepts the free gift of life.  I yearn to understand God more and dwell in his perfect peace, trusting him, believing him, and not being afraid.  I want to know how long and wide and deep and high is the love of Christ, a love that surpasses knowledge. This is Ben and I on our 15th wedding anniversary holiday at a Broncos game... I like pretty things.  I like tea and tea pots and pretty vines.  I like delicate and soft things like pastels and green florals and lace and shabby chic.  But not too shabby chic.  I like rustic and homely.  I like natural things, wood, metal, natural fibres. I have three little