Skip to main content

Do not call to mind the former things


"Do not call to mind the former things, or ponder things of the past."
Isaiah 43. 18

I was thinking about this verse- it really challenged me. I prayed, how can I forget my past, how can I not call it to mind.  One of my biggest challenges is not dwelling on past events.

It came to me that phrasing 'call to mind' from the scripture of is something that seems to have some choice involved... we do the 'calling' to our own minds at times for different reasons, even if there isn't a direct trigger.

I wonder why I do that sometimes, there must be something soothing about looking back... There has to be or I wouldn't be going there... What am I trying to achieve?  Am I trying to solve the 'mystery' of my past actions, trying to work out how I could possibly be so 'broken' as to do this or that- yes. Do I need to work it out? I have been convicted of the sin. God is guiding me in the present, incorporating the past already.

Am I trying to punish myself?  Yes, sometimes. But Christs sacrifice is sufficient. I need desperately to be reminded of that, and I have been recently. Self- punishment undermines, and devalues Christs sacrifice.

Is the scripture referring only to past events that are negative, or positive events too?  Paul seemed to be of the mind to forget everything. Though he did recall his conversion and the story of this as an exception.  In the scriptures elsewhere it says to remember what God has done.  We are encouraged to remember God's goodness, and our life story in a redemptive sense.

In a recent post I explore some insight from the passage including and following the scripture above, Isaiah 43. 18-21(see post 'A River in the Wilderness'). Some of the 'how' to stop recalling the past in an 'unhelpful way' I believe lies in a key, that when God does a 'new thing' it is a better thing that replaces an old thing.  What he can do for our future is much more than what we may have lost in our past...Believing this can increase our anticipation for the 'new thing' God is doing and so loosen our grip on the past...

Lets be deliberate in keeping our minds on the new things God is doing and about to do!

"Yet this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope.  Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."
Lam 3 v 22-23




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The energy of faith

What does a faithful Christian look like?  Are they always happy and energetic and smiling? I had a disappointment when a something I thought was going to happen didn't.  How many of us have experienced this? We receive a promise from God and then something leads us to think its happening "this week" or 'this month', even 'this year'- all the signs are lining up- we get all exited. WE might fast, and spend ourselves in prayer.  WE might tell our close friends.  WE might take some actions towards this thing coming to pass.  And it's all in the faith of expectation- because we believe God- that this thing is going to happen. Then it doesn't happen when we think it would happen and we feel exhausted.  We feel silly, maybe bitter, that we 'spent ourselves' getting exited and laboring over this event or promise we thought was coming like 'now'. Today I prayed God would give me his perspective on my disappointment.  I truly had e

Transition 2

I've been praying about what is coming up for me in 2018, what Gods plans are and what he has for me... I had an interesting dream recently where I was among many people who were in a supermarket being assigned jobs. Suddenly the supermarket was not just a grocery story but had expanded into a department store. There was food, clothing and everything you could think of to buy. Multiple adjoining buildings. Huge spaces devoted to specialty items. There were so many people wandering around. Some of these people were wearing colour coded vests they had been given by the store which indicated they had been assigned a role. But although some had their vest, they were not yet at their post, they were wandering around asking questions and trying to find where they were meant to be. I was aware I had my vest on but could not search for my place because I was with my son Caleb helping him find his place. I asked the Lord what this meant. I felt the change in store size and variety indic

About me...

About me..My name is Naomi.  I am married with three children.  I am a Naturopathy student who has been studying for what feels like forever and carer to husband and three children.  I have a background in midwifery.  I am passionate about how God designed things to be for our minds and bodies and life and that one day he will perfect everything and everyone who accepts the free gift of life.  I yearn to understand God more and dwell in his perfect peace, trusting him, believing him, and not being afraid.  I want to know how long and wide and deep and high is the love of Christ, a love that surpasses knowledge. This is Ben and I on our 15th wedding anniversary holiday at a Broncos game... I like pretty things.  I like tea and tea pots and pretty vines.  I like delicate and soft things like pastels and green florals and lace and shabby chic.  But not too shabby chic.  I like rustic and homely.  I like natural things, wood, metal, natural fibres. I have three little