Skip to main content

A river in the wilderness


Isaiah 43. 18-21

Do not call to mind the former things, or ponder things of the past.
Behold I am doing something new,
Now it will spring forth
Will you not be aware of it?
I will even make a roadway in the wilderness,
Rivers in the desert.
The beasts of the field will glorify me,
The jackals and the ostriches,
Because I have given waters in the wilderness
And rivers in the desert
To give drink to My chosen people
The people I have formed for myself will declare my praise.


Some believers live in a wilderness place. Past hopes and dreams have been dashed. Because of unbelief at various times they have not walked in the fullness and richness of life that God had in store. Battles with sin and the devil have worn them down and they feel dry, discouraged, defeated.
But God knows and cares. He doesn't always lift them out and take them to a new life and new place. Sometimes that is necessary but these particular believers are to remain where they are...He is sending sustenance and refreshing to them in that place of dryness.

The creatures of the wilderness, those whom the wilderness is their natural habitat...those who have not yet ever experienced Gods goodness and grace will be able to be witness to Gods goodness and provision as he provides for his people who are in the wilderness.

As the rivers of renual flow to Gods people in the wilderness a witness is created, causing a turning to and praising of God by those who were by nature creatures of the wilderness. They are the onlookers.
Our life as a believer may have seemed as dry as the next person who dosn't know God and we have despaired at our witness. We know they see our dryness. But God will cause us in the wilderness to be a witness through his provision and refreshing to us. He is doing a new thing in the lives of those who have felt dry and discouraged. And they will praise him. A new song of joy will rise and overflow out of their hearts.
God is doing a new thing...

And because God is doing a new thing, a new thing that is wonderful right here, we are to focus our thoughts and energies here. Don't look to the past possibilities you missed that may have caused you to end up in this place. Something new. Not just something different. Something new replaces the old as the new covenant replaced the old because it was superior.
When God does a new thing it is superior to the old. Do not look to the past because this thing God is doing is superior to anything you missed.

Comments

  1. "When God does a new thing it is superior to the old."

    This phrase resonates and will stick with me a long time, methinks... Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The energy of faith

What does a faithful Christian look like?  Are they always happy and energetic and smiling? I had a disappointment when a something I thought was going to happen didn't.  How many of us have experienced this? We receive a promise from God and then something leads us to think its happening "this week" or 'this month', even 'this year'- all the signs are lining up- we get all exited. WE might fast, and spend ourselves in prayer.  WE might tell our close friends.  WE might take some actions towards this thing coming to pass.  And it's all in the faith of expectation- because we believe God- that this thing is going to happen. Then it doesn't happen when we think it would happen and we feel exhausted.  We feel silly, maybe bitter, that we 'spent ourselves' getting exited and laboring over this event or promise we thought was coming like 'now'. Today I prayed God would give me his perspective on my disappointment.  I truly had e

Transition 2

I've been praying about what is coming up for me in 2018, what Gods plans are and what he has for me... I had an interesting dream recently where I was among many people who were in a supermarket being assigned jobs. Suddenly the supermarket was not just a grocery story but had expanded into a department store. There was food, clothing and everything you could think of to buy. Multiple adjoining buildings. Huge spaces devoted to specialty items. There were so many people wandering around. Some of these people were wearing colour coded vests they had been given by the store which indicated they had been assigned a role. But although some had their vest, they were not yet at their post, they were wandering around asking questions and trying to find where they were meant to be. I was aware I had my vest on but could not search for my place because I was with my son Caleb helping him find his place. I asked the Lord what this meant. I felt the change in store size and variety indic

About me...

About me..My name is Naomi.  I am married with three children.  I am a Naturopathy student who has been studying for what feels like forever and carer to husband and three children.  I have a background in midwifery.  I am passionate about how God designed things to be for our minds and bodies and life and that one day he will perfect everything and everyone who accepts the free gift of life.  I yearn to understand God more and dwell in his perfect peace, trusting him, believing him, and not being afraid.  I want to know how long and wide and deep and high is the love of Christ, a love that surpasses knowledge. This is Ben and I on our 15th wedding anniversary holiday at a Broncos game... I like pretty things.  I like tea and tea pots and pretty vines.  I like delicate and soft things like pastels and green florals and lace and shabby chic.  But not too shabby chic.  I like rustic and homely.  I like natural things, wood, metal, natural fibres. I have three little