Skip to main content

Thankfulness


This morning I was praying about things bothering me within my family that morning. After a while I felt God whisper to my heart- focus on what you are thankful for...

My heart was in a bind and I thought...that sounds difficult or impossible. I can't think of anything right now. I actually prayed God help me think of something.

And my mind went first to something a friend had said to me who struggled greatly with a husband not supportive of her faith- you are lucky your husband is a Christian.

And then my mind went to where I might have ended up if God hadn't saved me and intervened in my life at the time he did.  I thought there was a good chance the way I was headed I may have ended up a drug addict, in a physically abusive marriage, and have lost my children to foster homes.

And then I thought, I have my children.  I get to care for them- give them meals, clothe them, help them, reassure them when they are hurt or sick.  I get to know how they are going each day.

I know a friend who was separated from her children from a time, and it was all these things she longed to be able to do.

Sometimes a great starting place to stir up thankfulness is what we don't have to deal with because of Gods grace to us.  It puts what we do have to deal with in perspective.  It also helps us realize that we have blessings we take for granted, such as...

"God, I thank you that I don't have the pain of grief because my children are starving.  (I can feel lighter about the pain of the complaints that their food isn't 'right' or there is no desert tonight)."

If your heart is feeling a bit stale and you're having trouble stirring up thankfulness- try thinking in reverse...what if...what if God had not been on my side...

I love this Psalm.

"What if the Lord had not been on our side?
Let all Israel repeat:
What is the Lord had not been on our side
 when people attacked us?
They would have swallowed us alive
 in their burning anger.
The waters would have engulfed us;
 a torrent would have overwhelmed us.
Yes, the raging waters of their fury
 would have overwhelmed our very lives.

Praise the Lord,
who did not let their teeth tear us apart!
We escaped like a bird from a hunters trap.
The trap is broken, and we are free!
Our help is from the Lord,
who made heaven and earth."

 Psalm 124 (NLT)


What if the Lord had not been on your side?  Can you imagine the possibilities of what might have happened in the time past since you were saved?  

If you are reading this and you haven't given your life over to the Lord yet, know that he has in store so much more for you to be thankful for- he wants to refresh your weary heart, to free you, to have you know the love he has for you.  Ask Jesus to forgive your sins and come into your life right now. He is longing for a relationship with you, his son or daughter.  He wants to be a part of your life.  He promises to never leave you or forsake you. Trust him!  

Please please please comment and bless me hearing your story of how God has delivered you from 'almost certain' future trouble, if God had not been on your side... And please let me know if you are just trusting in Jesus for the first time so I can be happy with you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The energy of faith

What does a faithful Christian look like?  Are they always happy and energetic and smiling? I had a disappointment when a something I thought was going to happen didn't.  How many of us have experienced this? We receive a promise from God and then something leads us to think its happening "this week" or 'this month', even 'this year'- all the signs are lining up- we get all exited. WE might fast, and spend ourselves in prayer.  WE might tell our close friends.  WE might take some actions towards this thing coming to pass.  And it's all in the faith of expectation- because we believe God- that this thing is going to happen. Then it doesn't happen when we think it would happen and we feel exhausted.  We feel silly, maybe bitter, that we 'spent ourselves' getting exited and laboring over this event or promise we thought was coming like 'now'. Today I prayed God would give me his perspective on my disappointment.  I truly had e

Transition 2

I've been praying about what is coming up for me in 2018, what Gods plans are and what he has for me... I had an interesting dream recently where I was among many people who were in a supermarket being assigned jobs. Suddenly the supermarket was not just a grocery story but had expanded into a department store. There was food, clothing and everything you could think of to buy. Multiple adjoining buildings. Huge spaces devoted to specialty items. There were so many people wandering around. Some of these people were wearing colour coded vests they had been given by the store which indicated they had been assigned a role. But although some had their vest, they were not yet at their post, they were wandering around asking questions and trying to find where they were meant to be. I was aware I had my vest on but could not search for my place because I was with my son Caleb helping him find his place. I asked the Lord what this meant. I felt the change in store size and variety indic

About me...

About me..My name is Naomi.  I am married with three children.  I am a Naturopathy student who has been studying for what feels like forever and carer to husband and three children.  I have a background in midwifery.  I am passionate about how God designed things to be for our minds and bodies and life and that one day he will perfect everything and everyone who accepts the free gift of life.  I yearn to understand God more and dwell in his perfect peace, trusting him, believing him, and not being afraid.  I want to know how long and wide and deep and high is the love of Christ, a love that surpasses knowledge. This is Ben and I on our 15th wedding anniversary holiday at a Broncos game... I like pretty things.  I like tea and tea pots and pretty vines.  I like delicate and soft things like pastels and green florals and lace and shabby chic.  But not too shabby chic.  I like rustic and homely.  I like natural things, wood, metal, natural fibres. I have three little